Several years ago the Friends of Bledsoe Creek State Park secured a $30,000 grant to repave and repair the Mayo Wix handicap accessible trail. Monies collected through dues and donations have been used to buy a golf cart for campground hosts, boats for lake tours, U.S. Flags for holidays, has made upgrades to parking areas, Jr. Ranger Camp, free fishing rodeo, Halloween, snacks for many hikes, arts and craft supplies, and summer activities.
This 169-acre site is situated on the Bledsoe Creek embayment of Old Hickory Lake in Sumner County. The park has 6 miles of hiking trails. The 57 campsites have been newly renovated and all sites have electricity and water. This area is rich in history. It was once a prime hunting ground for the Cherokee, Creek, Shawnee, and Chickamauga Indian tribes. It was shared by all, owned by none. Buffalo and deer followed trails through the region in pursuit of salt and other mineral springs. Here the Indian could hunt and provide meat for food, skins for clothing, and bones to be used for tools.
Unlike the white men, the indians wasted nothing. With the coming of the white man, the once great heard of animals were dispersed, never to return. Little wonder that much blood stained this area. The park is named for Isaac Bledsoe, who is accredited with settling the area. Cragfont, located about 3.5 miles north of the park entrance, was the home to General James Winchester and constructed for him of rocks hauled, from his native Maryland. Winchester, a veteran of both the American Revolution and the War of 1812, took an active part in the settlement of this region during the troubled and bloody times with the indians. Cragfont, high atop a rocky bluff, appears majestic indeed to those who observe it from below. It was probably the first rock structure to be completed in the state. It is operated by the Sumner County Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiques. Wynnewood is also located in the area. Wynnewood is the largest extant log structure in tennessee. It was built in 1828 by A.R. Wynne, William Cage, and Stephen Roberts as a stagecoach inn on the Nashville-Knoxville road.